Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Computer Problems

I love computers. I hate computers. They can do all sorts of cool stuff, but when problems arise they can be a huge pain. I have been planning to update mine. New processor, video card, ram, in hopes to get a couple of more years out of it before I spend 900 bucks and build a new one. So stupid me I thought updating the BIOS would be a good place to start. I down load the new handy-dandy ASUS bios corrupter, I mean updater. Yeah, that did not go very well, BIOS does not work any more. powers up the case fans and that is all. Shit. So I order a new motherboard. I install. BIOS works fine but windows won't boot. Shit again. I guess I have to install Windows again. luckily someone at work has some, shall we say Buccaneer-inspired OS disks that I can use. So I get a new copy and install away. I don't know exactly what NTDLL.DLL is but when it comes to booting windows it is apparently a show-stopper. Bad file. So, I call unnamed co-worker and see what I can do. Lucky for me he has many disks and between them all I am able to find clean files and OS works again. Yeah. Now I am still in the re-install everything and try to remember the fucking passwords phase of things. So things are well again in computerland. Big thanks to unnamed co-worker. -BPM

No comments: